Maximize the Benefits of Your Acupuncture Treatments
Blog Author: Kate Barry of Inspired Wellness Center
Acupuncture has become a common treatment in recent years, and while there are many benefits to getting acupuncture there are always ways to maximize what you get out of it. I have found that there are several things you can do to encourage your body’s ability to heal with acupuncture, and here are some great tips on how you can maximize not only your recovery time but also your experience:
1. In preparation for your treatment be sure to have a little food in your stomach. The reason for this is that receiving acupuncture on an empty stomach can be very depleting and lead to fainting. Yet, you also don’t want to be too full, as your body will be working hard to digest and you won’t reap the full benefits of the treatment. I suggest a light snack.
2. If it is your first treatment, arrive 15 minutes early to fill out paperwork. It is always a good idea to arrive a little early, so as not to rush.
3. You will be resting on the table for 20-30 minutes so be sure to empty your bladder before hand and don’t expect to move while resting with the needles in.
4. Wear loose fitted clothing and try to be as relaxed as possible.
5. Turn off your cell phone and don’t try to multi task during your treatment.
6. Let the practitioner know if you’ve had any caffeine, tobacco, or alcohol. These substances will change our pulse and often the tongue coat, which are important diagnostic tools, and we don’t want our diagnosis to be thrown off by such items. It is really in your best interest to quit smoking all together as it interferes with your body’s ability to heal.
7. After your treatment, it is best to take it easy and relax as much as possible. Don’t overexert yourself mentally, emotionally, or physically. The acupuncture points remain stimulated for 24-48 hours after the treatment; it is not as if the treatment ends as soon as the needles are removed.
8. Be sure to drink plenty of pure water every day; a good gauge is to consume half of your body weight in ounces, so if you weigh 160 lbs, you need 80 ounces of water a day.
9. It is also very important to get enough restorative sleep every night, as the body heals as you sleep; the average person needs at least 8 hours per night.
10. Work to handle stress as effectively as possible, and to resolve any outstanding issues in troubled relationships.
11. Practice healthy eating habits and exercise on a regular basis.
If you need help, acupuncture is very effective. As you continue your course of treatment, pay close attention to how your symptoms change in quality and frequency: be aware of how the treatments make you feel in terms of energy level, relief from pain or other symptoms, and quality of life; be as open and forthcoming with all of your health concerns and how they are changing. The more information you provide, the better your chances for success with acupuncture.
Our mission is to help you feel your best as quickly as possible. Following these guidelines you are taking an active part in your own health care, and you will be well on your way to living a balanced life with optimal health.